Friday, August 29, 2008

Gloomy Alaska Days

The weather has been cold and drizzly here the last couple of days. So what do you do on a cold, nasty day when you don't want to go outside? I was bored so I went to the store and bought what I needed to hang up some stuff at the house. Found some neat little kitchen doo dads that will be handy to have. That put me in the mood to do something in the kitchen. So when I got back home I went to work. I thought to myself that the smell of baked goods would be perfect for a rainy day. Nothing picks up my spirits like the smell of stuff baking in the oven.

I gathered all the necessary ingredients and went to work. Throwing everything together, flour, water, butter, milk.............. everything necessary to make my loaf of raisin bread. I punched and kneaded .............. well, to be honest, I used a bread machine. But it was hard work measuring and pouring the ingredients into the pan. That and pushing all the necessary buttons to make my loaf come out the color I had envisioned in my head. And the waiting! The machine would run a little then stop and let the loaf perk up with the yeast working then run a little some more. That went on for what seemed forever. All the time, I had to listen intently for the little beep letting me know that it was time to add the raisins. That was torture. Then the baking begins. The smells start filling every corner of the house. The aroma's teasing your senses, your mouth waters but all you can do is look in the little window watching the bread get bigger and start to brown. Finally the final ding! You swing open the door and admire your creation. Oh, what a beautiful brown crust, the aroma of cinnamon and raisins filling your nose. Oh no, the instructions say to wait 15 to 20 minutes to slice into the bread. Now what? More torture. You get the butter all ready, your favorite bread knife at the ready. Counting down the minutes until finally you attack the bread, like a samari warrior slicing away. You make the first slice cutting off the heal. We'll save that piece for later. Toast it in the toaster.......yummm. The next slice is about as thick as two regular pieces of bread. Then you slather it with butter. You know your putting too much on... all that chloresteral but what the heck. That first bite...... mmmm butter dripping down your chin..... orgasmic! Then I have to try some toasted. In the toaster the next slice goes! After pigging out on half a loaf of bread I think I'm going to take a nap and let things digest.

Such is a rainy day in Alaska!

7 comments:

Cjjstrings Memories said...

Yummy!!! I can smell it now. Only thing wrong with it it needs more raisins.LOL and anothe slice.LOL

Dusty Jones said...

Yea, I agree. Needs more raisins. Next one will have more.

Becca said...

Found you through Rayne's blog.

You know I never thought much of bread machines (something inside me says we should be making bread the "normal" way) but you've changed my mind a bit. Boy, does that look good!

Dusty Jones said...

becca: I know what you mean. I used to think the same. After using one I changed my mind. Tastes pretty much the same and takes less work (I'm all for that!).

Glad to have you here. Rayne's a really neat lady. Met her with my sis doodlestreet in July.

Doodlestreet said...

Hey, I loved how you wrote about the details of waiting for bread to bake. I had to laugh because I go thru the SAME THING! Except, I pace past the damn machine a million times peeking in the little window. I'm such a slave to bread...carbo addict. Isn't it great? I have a wonderful apple bread recipe I should send you. It's almost a cake, and ooOOOoh brother, is it GOOD!

Rayne said...

Oh, that does sound wonderful! I think I'll make some pretzels, today.
I always think of that 'wait 15-20 minutes' as a suggestion, not a rule.

Maria Verivaki said...

this is a really nice way of spending a dull day indoors - but it's the only start of autumn...

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories